It’s frustrating when you write a blog post and publish it, but no one reads your articles. If you Are you in the same situation and wants to step up your game? OR Want to let your freak flag fly?. Then stay tuned.
Blog writing is an art that takes a reasonable time to be mastered. You can’t achieve the milestone on day one. It requires learning, practising over and over again.
In today’s article, I will be showing you how to write a blog entry and what should be the blog writing format.
After reading this guide, you will learn how to write a successful blog post. And will also see blog writing format that you might adept to enhance your blog layout.
It’s challenging to encourage people to read a boring article. You have to organise your blog post so that it looks great and people more likely to read it.
Do concentrate on following things to create a successful blog post which can perform well.
- Title tag
However, I’m not good at English and could make mistakes. But I’m still learning and executing. When I started blogging, I had no idea where to start, what to write and how to write. But day by day I’m improving my writing skills and trying to add more value to the reader’s time.
Without further due, let me move on to the topic.
5 Things About writing blog post Your Boss Wants to Know
#1. Use The HOOKS Initially
It’s hard to keep the readers stick with your blog post. You have only 8-9 seconds to capture the readers and encourage them to read your article.
Nowadays, people don’t read more than 20% of your blog post if there is nothing special. So, it’s mandatory to include something that makes people smile.
According to NNG (Nielsen Norman Group ), only 28% words of a blog post is read by the average visitors. They have plotted a graph that confirms that people spend only 4.4 seconds per 100 words. It means a 500-word’s blog post can’t handle the readers for more than 20 seconds.
The introduction is the blog entry. Everyone reads your introduction for identifying what your blog post is all about. But how you can start writing a blog entry or intro to compel visitors? See what you should do.
Important points that worth remembering
- Make your blog intro successfully appealing by including some interesting facts, statistics, a real story or something surprising.
- Don’t reveal your secrets or surprises because if you do, people will leave your page after knowing the secrets.
- Ask a question. A question brings a strong impulse to your reader’s mind and encourages them to keep reading your blog post.
- Ordinary interrogation doesn’t work. For example, ‘do you want to generate backlinks?’ is an obvious interrogation. No one would be surprised. Instead of that ask for ‘Do you want to know a secret for getting genuine backlinks’.
#2. Use Compelling Headline
Writing a compelling title tag could encourage people to read your article. A persuasive POST title helps to increase CTR (Click through rate) resulting, rise in ranking. Bloggers ignore it because they think that the headline doesn’t play any role in creating a successful blog post.
But I can show you how does it affect user intent. See the example below.
In the following case, I have captured the top 7 results while searching for ‘Best SEO tool’ on google.
Which one you would prefer to click. I believe that you would select any result besides the last result.
Due to the ugly headline formatting, most of the users ignore the last result. However, it might be containing good stuff. But because of bad title formatting, no one will enter.
You can make it professional by keeping the first character of the word in uppercase.
- Include the numbers to grasp the people’s attention
Include the numbers at the starting. For example, ‘5 untold secrets about blogging’.
Your title should be such that people can’t stop clicking on it. By adding context words in your headline, you can make it more appealing.
Here I have used an odd number instead even?. But why? Because an odd number creates visual interest and always used by magician, marketers to grasp the attention. Our mind considers odd numbers as a specific pattern.
Including numbers or statistics into your title tag is an efficient way to make it more enticing to readers. Headlines with number increase the social shares.
- Use words that catch the people’s attention
The words that bring instant action in people’s mind. Here are common words that you might use into blog post copy
- Case study
A good lede could work well when it comes to compelling readers. A lede is a short intro to your entry blog post. It contains 30 to 50 words. If readers catch your point while reading your lede, they will continue reading your article.
According to statistic brain, in 2000 people average attention span time was 12 seconds which is reduced to 8.25 seconds in 2012. It shows that people want immediate attention. If your entry-blog/ lede is not such, your post is not going to reach the potential readers.
- Use alarming words in your headline
Readers respond to words that are alarming. Researchers say that a wondering mind works with more power than the normal. Alarming words do the same, they make up your mind and generates strong impulses.
Find potential words from here – 317 power words that will make your blog post successfully implied.
- Include a well-known entity into your headline
It can make your post title more engaging. It is as useful as it is by using surprising words. So you can either include remarkable words or celebrity’s name.
- Headlines should contain 6 to 10 words
The short headline doesn’t make any sense. Because they are less specific and readers may skip the context. So, here the point is that include at least 6 to 10 words which makes it more intensive and specific.
For example, If I write about ‘WordPress’, then my title may look like –“10 common WordPress login issue that you must know” which is more powerful than writing only two words “WordPress errors”.
#3. Breakdown your content into Paragraphs
You might be thinking that why your paragraph should be short.
There are three reasons –
- Easier to understand
- Good readability
- Easy to scan
- Looks neat and clean
- More encouraging for visitors
As you know that pictures say thousands of words so integrating images within your article, make it more appealing, Increase social shares, referral traffic.
It isn’t ok to write only for the search engine. Optimize your content for both readers and search engine because Google considers ‘USER-BEHAVIOR’ as a ranking factor.
If a visitor visits your page but doesn’t find visuals like images, infographics and videos, he will jump to another web page. When Google identifies this behaviour, they consider it as a negative signal. It affects your bounce rate and decreases the ranking as well.
#5. Organize your blog post
No matter how much compelling your blog post is, everything would be wasted if your blog post is not well-organised. Break your content into sections so that readers can easily navigate.
A checklist to organise your blog post
- In the first section, write a short intro that encourages readers.
- Tell your readers what they will learn from reading your post.
- For best results, you could include a table of content.
- It was all about the introduction. Now in the next section write your body text.
- In the third section, break down your content into subheadings and paragraphs
- In the 4th section, make a worthy conclusion.
- Finally, do thorough proofreading and editing.
- You have not done yet; there is something that you might forget about URL optimisation, image optimisation, including subscriber bar, headline optimisation and featured thumbnail etc. (How to increase CTR by optimizing meta description)
- Make your permalink short and include the focus keyword to the permalink.
- Use the wp-smash plugin to compress the images.
- Integrate a suitable featured image.
- By reading above you can optimise your headline.
- Include a few tags. Now you have successfully done.
A successful blog post keeps readers engage. If you want to make your readers happy, then give them what they want.
Blogging is a silent killer, but no one would hear from you if you can’t trap them.
However, I’ve uncovered most of the topics here. But it isn’t the end; you need to dig deeper and make your blog-post copy look compelling and visual appealing. I hope you would get the point.
If you find this post helpful then do share on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Reddit.