Transcribing audio files into written text has become a common practice across industries. And If you want to start a career as a transcriptionist, you should consider enrolling in a training course.
Transcription is an integral part of any business, and it’s one of the most critical tasks for every company. It involves converting spoken words or other sounds into written form. This process is called transcription, and it’s considered a highly skilled job because it requires listening skills, writing skills, grammar knowledge, time management, and attention to detail.
There are many types of transcription courses available. Some focus on specific areas of transcription, such as medical transcription, legal transcription, or technical transcription. Others offer general training in transcription skills.
This article will discuss some of the best general transcription courses available online. These courses offer a wide range of topics related to transcription, and cover all aspects of the industry. They include information about setting up a transcription workflow, what equipment you need, how to write good transcripts, and much more.
What can you learn from online training courses?
If you’re looking to get started with your career as a transcriptionist but don’t have enough experience, these online training courses will help you gain the necessary skills. You’ll learn everything that you need to know about transcribing audio files, including:
– How to set up a transcription workstation
– What equipment do you need
– How to type fast
– The different software programs used by transcriptionists
– How to write professional-quality transcripts
– How to manage your time effectively
– How to find jobs and clients
– How to make money as a transcriptionist
– How to prepare yourself for the job interview
– How to improve your transcription skills
– How to build a strong portfolio
– How to set up a transcription team
– How to market yourself as a transcriptionist
The following list includes some of the top general transcription courses available today. All of them provide quality content and excellent value at affordable prices.
1. Transcribe Anywhere by Janet Shaughnessy
One of the best transcription courses teaches you everything you need to know about transcribing from audio recordings. The course provides students with a complete overview of the entire transcription process, and it covers transcription software, editing tools, equipment, and more. Students will learn to use different software programs, including Dragon Naturally Speaking, Audacity, etc. They also get access to free trial versions of these programs to try them out before purchasing them.
You don’t have to be familiar with transcription software to take this course. Janet explains each step of the transcription process in great detail, and she also shares her experience working as a transcriptionist. You’ll find tips and tricks along the way that will help you improve your skills and save money when doing transcription work.
If you’re looking for a comprehensive course to master transcription, Transcribe Anywhere is a perfect choice.
Why Transcription Anywhere?
✓ Final Exam & Certification
✓ Transcribe Anywhere is one of the online transcription schools that the American Association approves of Electronic Reporters and Transcribers (https://www.aaert.org/page/ApprovedSchools)
✓ Free lifetime updates
✓ Get lifetime access to the private community
✓ Lifetime support
Who Can Take This Course
– Anyone who wants to learn how to transcribe audio files into written documents can benefit from taking this course. Whether you’re new to transcription or you already have some experience, you’ll get valuable insights from this course.
– You can also take this course if you know the basics of transcription but looking to improve your skills.
– If you’re looking for the kind of support you want to succeed with transcription
– This course can help you with the marketing aspects of transcription
– It can help you set up a transcription business.
– It can help you find high-paying work.
What Does Transcription Anywhere Course include?
- Where to get the best deals on transcription equipment (do not buy it until you need it!).
- Text Expander Shortcut Keys Cheat Sheet Printable PDF
- transcription style guide plus downloadable templates
- how to start and run a transcription service
- Seven levels of practice dictations (with answers).
- lifetime access to all course material and future updates
- Lifetime access to student community forums on Facebook
EXPLORE A CAREER IN TRANSCRIPTION WITH THIS FREE MINI-COURSE
Bonus: If you want to learn everything about transcription and are excited to turn this skill into a business, you can take the ‘General Transcription: Theory & Practice’ course by Janet Shaughnessy and start making $20K – $40K per year.
2. Transcription Certification Institute (TCI)
Transcription Certification Institue is a comprehensive training course designed to teach general transcription. It includes lessons on using specialized software programs, transcribing interviews, lectures, and more.
It’s a 100% Online and self-paced training program guaranteed to give you the knowledge needed to become an expert general transcriptionist.
This course is ideal for beginners interested in transcribing audio recordings. It offers students a thorough understanding of the entire transcription process, including topics such as transcription software, transcription hardware, transcription workflow, transcription style, and much more.
Additionally, TCI offers the right resources and equipment to help students achieve their goals. Students can download free transcriptions samples, transcripts of famous speeches, and other valuable materials.
The course also provides a formal transcription certificate upon completion. The certification allows students to prove their expertise in the field and also helps them get internship opportunities.
What Does Transcription Anywhere Course include?
- On-demand: videos, study material, and printable PDFs
- An online multimedia course without any limits on the length of the training period
- Multiple quiz sets for all lessons with many examples
- Tons of transcription practice files (with different difficulty levels) to help you improve your skills.
- The how-to guide to help you get started transcribing audio files, the equipment you need, software programs you can use, and other things you should know before starting.
- Fully accessible TCI’s Accuracy Assessment Tool
- Transcription companies offer tips to help people become successful transcriptionists. These tips include getting started in the industry, what types of jobs are available, and more.
- Lifetime access to practice materials about transcription
3. ‘How to Become a Transcriptionist by Chelsea Flint’ on Udemy
‘How to Become a Transcriptionist’ by Chelsea Flint is an excellent course to become a transcriptionist. This course covers everything from setting up a home office to choosing the best transcription tools.
It’s a blueprint for building your work-from-home transcription career. You’ll start by learning how to set up a home office, then move on to choosing the best transcription software, and finally, choose the best transcription hardware.
You’ll also learn how to find freelance clients, how to negotiate rates, and how to market yourself as a transcriptionist.
This course will teach you to create professional documents like resumes, cover letters, business cards, and more.
Who can enroll?
This course is designed to help US-based students work from home as a transcriptionist.
*Non-US students can still learn from this course but might have more difficulty getting hired by well-paying US-based companies
Why ‘How to become a transcriptionist’ by Chelsea Flint?
- This course teaches you how to get high-paying jobs, how to find tools & equipment at low cheaper pricing, and how to get a job.
- Strengthen your typing and grammar skills to become a more efficient transcriptionist
- How to use Express Scribe to transcribe files, so you’re ready to apply to transcription companies.
- How to create a compelling resume even if you don’t have prior work experience
- Learn how to scale transcription career and boost your earnings
What Does ‘How to become a transcriptionist’ Course include?
- 1-hour on-demand video
- 25 downloadable resources
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of completion
- An introduction to the transcription industry
- Use of Express Scribe
- Transcribing audio and editing the transcript
- Setting up Microsoft Word’s AutoCorrect to create text expanders
- Working with style guides
- How to create a compelling Resume
- Three practice audio files with answers
- Bonus material
The best way to improve your transcription skills is to learn fast typing, grammar, creating a resume, applying for companies, and much more.
These courses can help you develop these skills to become a transcriptionist. And also enable you to set up your own transcription business from home.
If you’re looking for the best transcription training courses to start your career as a transcriptionist, then look no further than my list.