Netflix has been one of the most popular streaming services since its launch in 1999. With millions of users worldwide, Netflix offers a wide variety of content ranging from movies, TV shows, documentaries, anime, music videos, sports events, and much more.
However, due to copyright issues, Netflix does not allow access to certain types of content in the selected regions. This means that if you want to watch Netflix without any restrictions, you need a VPN service.
You can use VPNs to change your IP address so that you appear as though you’re located in another country. This allows you to access restricted content on Netflix without being in that particular country or region.
In this article, I’ll share the best VPNs for Netflix with you. But before that, I want to discuss a few questions regarding Netflix. So let’s get started…
Why do I need a VPN for Netflix?
There are plenty of reasons why you might want to invest in a VPN for Netflix.
- What if you live outside the US/Canada and are unable to access the US Netflix library? Or what if you live outside Japan but love binge watch anime? If that’s the case, then you need a VPN to access these libraries from your region.
- If you’ve ever tried watching a show or movie on Netflix while traveling abroad, you know how frustrating it can be. You need a VPN to access shows/series that are only available in your country. If you’re living in Canada, for example, you won’t be able to watch any series that is only available in the USA.
- Netflix has some really great content, but unfortunately, they also have some pretty strict rules regarding which countries you can view their content from. For instance, you can’t access many of their original series (like Stranger Things) unless you live in the US. And even if you may not be able to see them because of licensing issues.
- While you might think that you wouldn’t care about original series or TV shows when you’re abroad, you’d be surprised how many people love seeing their favorite TV stars in action. There are tons of original movies and TV shows that you can enjoy on Netflix, including Stranger Things, Black Mirror, and House of Cards.
- Plus, Netflix originals tend to release seasons at least once a year, so you’ll always be sure to catch the latest episodes without having to wait months for them to come out in your home country. In fact, it seems like every day there’s something new and exciting coming out on Netflix that you’d never see otherwise. So, if you’re living somewhere where Netflix is blocked, you might be missing out on some really cool stuff.
These are a few reasons why you need a VPN for Netflix. Now let’s move to the next question.
Is It legal to use a VPN for Netflix?
While Netflix has a policy against VPNs and proxies, it’s perfectly legal for users to use VPNs on the service. However, it might not work. Netflix has agreements with TV shows, films, and music, so they can only distribute certain TV shows and series to selected countries.
Using a VPN to access Netflix isn’t illegal, but it does require a bit of technical knowledge. That said, there are plenty of VPN providers that offer easy-to-use apps that will allow you to connect to Netflix through their servers.
However, before you go looking for a VPN provider, make sure that you understand the laws surrounding using a VPN in your country. Many countries have strict regulations against accessing geo-blocked services, and some even ban VPNs entirely. So, before installing a VPN, check with your local government to find out whether or not you’re allowed to use a VPN.
How to watch Netflix with a VPN?
Here are 4 simple steps to unblock Netflix with a VPN…
- First, download the VPN software of your choice.
- Select the server location to the one you want to stream from. (If there is more than one server location available for your region, choose the one that is closest to your physical location.)
- Check your IP location
- Run a DNS leak test to ensure that your connection is secured and not leaking your DNS data.
Once have successfully connected, head over to Netflix and sign into your account and enjoy binge-watching your favorite shows.
How do I choose the best VPN for Netflix?
7 Factors to consider while looking for the best VPN for Netflix
- The number of libraries – It’s one of the most important parameters to consider while looking for the best VPNs for Netflix. You should go with VPNs that can unblock popular Netflix libraries from the US, UK, Japan, Australia, etc. It is to ensure that you have access to all popular libraries to binge-watch your favorite international shows quickly.
- The number of servers – A large network of servers is a direct indicator of the number of Netflix libraries you can access. For example, ExpressVPN and NordVPN have a huge number of servers which means without a doubt both of these VPNs are capable of unblocking a good number of global Netflix libraries.
- Speed – According to Netflix, 20 Mbps is fare enough for streaming Netflix in HD. Usually, a VPN throttles internet speed by (20%) max. So if your internet speed is 50 Mbps, it’ll be dropped by 20% (40Mbps).
- Bandwidth – The VPN should provide unlimited bandwidth without restrictions or data caps.
- Compatibility – Your VPN should be compatible with all popular devices and apps. (Android, iOS, Windows, macOS, and Linux.)
- Refund Policy – Most VPNs offer a 30-day money-back guarantee to ensure that the service is working for you. In my opinion, you should look for a VPN that comes with at least a 7-day money-back guarantee.
- Support – Your VPN company should provide priority support to their customers (Live chat + email support)
The VPN for Netflix is not working… How do I troubleshoot?
Even if you are using a reliable VPN recommended in this post, you might still be encountering Netflix block issues and end up getting errors like this one – Netflix Error M7111-5059.
OR a black screen with an error message like this –
“Whoops, something went wrong. Streaming error. You seem to be using an unblocker or proxy. Please turn off any of these services and try again.”
If that’s you, here are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot it…
- First thing first, disconnect your VPN and close your Netflix, if possible.
- Clear your browser cache and cookies. (In case, you are playing Netflix on your Browser)
- Now try connecting VPN to a different server and open your Netflix to see if the error is fixed.
- If not, you can switch to another steaming device and web browser to see if it is working.
- If not, Contact VPN customer support to fix this issue.
1. ExpressVPN for Netflix
ExpressVPN is one of the most popular VPN services for unblocking Netflix. In fact, it has a dedicated page for Netflix and a number of servers that works great with Netflix. You can even contact customer support to know the best Netflix servers.
With this, you can successfully access Netflix’s restricted libraries from 30+ countries.
After testing it with 5 different servers in different-2 countries, here is what I found – (Remember my “NO VPN” speed was between 40 Mbps to 50 Mbps)
- US – 31 Mbps
- Japan – 26 Mbps
- Canada – 30 Mbps
Key Points –
- With ExpressVPN, you can access the huge pool of Netflix libraries. (30+ libraries)
- Streaming quality – HD
- Speed – 21 to 40 Mbps ( the Internet speed without connecting a VPN was 50 Mbps )
- 30-Day Money Back Guarantee
- Steaming Devices – with ExpressVPN, you can access Netflix on all popular streaming devices including Android, Amazon Fire TV, Windows, macOS, iOS, Linux, and routers.
- MediaStreamer – A DNS service designed to improve the streaming experience.
- ExpressVPN can unblock Netflix Canada, Japan, France, the US, the UK, Australia, Italy, and Germany. Not just that, you can also unblock other streaming sites like BBC player, Amazon prime video, etc.
Streaming Netflix Brooklyn Nine-nine
- 3,000+ servers in 94 countries
- AES-256 Military-grade encryption
- Unlimited bandwidth
- 24/7 Customer support
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Kill switch option – keep your data secure in case the connection drops
- Private DNS to ensure that your connection is safer and faster
- Split tunneling – Route some of your traffic through VPN and remaining from the Internet directly.
- Use 5 devices simultaneously.
- 1-Month: $12.95/month
- 6-Month: $9.99/month for a 6-month subscription
- 12-Month: $6.67/month for a 12-month subscription
2. NordVPN for Netflix
With over 5500+ servers in 59 countries, NordVPN is the swiss army knife of VPNs. A few of its reliable servers are optimized for Netflix which makes NordVPN a perfect choice for Netflix.
In my test, NordVPN has successfully unblocked Netflix from 16+ regions including the US, UK, Japan, Australia, Canada, Netherlands, Italy, Germany, and brazil.
Key Points –
- Streaming Quality – 4K, Ultra HD
- Speed – 40 Mbps to 45 Mbps (My “NO VPN” internet speed was 50 Mbps)
- NordVPN offers a stable connection with blazing-fast speed
- Streaming Devices – Apple TV, FireStick, iOS, etc.
- With its Smartplay feature, you can bypass blocks from streaming sites like Netflix, BBC, Disney+, etc. It makes connection stable, and reliable.
- NordVPN successfully Unblocks 16+ popular global libraries including the US, UK, Japan, Canada, and Australia.
- 30-day money-back guarantee.
NordVPN features »
- NordVPN uses AES with 256-bit keys, which is recommended by the NSA for securing classified information, including the TOP SECRET level.
- Strict no logs policy — NordVPN does not log into “browsing history, traffic information, or IP addresses.
- Easy to Setup
- Its threat protection feature protects you from ads, trackers, and blocks malicious sites.
- DoubleVPN — Multi-hop connection — NordVPN routes your connection through a second secured server to double your security
- DNS leak protection
- Streaming support
- SmartPlay — With this you can securely access all kinds of content
- Lightning speed
- Secure up to 6 devices simultaneously
- Dedicated IP address
- Split tunneling using a new feature called Mashnet
- No kill switch on Android
- VPN apps for various devices
- Browser proxy extensions
- Block ads
- NordVPN has 5,539 servers in over 59 countries around the world.
- NordPass password manager and NordLocker encrypted file storage make NordVPN more powerful.
- Static IP addresses for an extra $5.83/mo
- Dedicated servers
- NordVPN now has 10Gbps servers that will be able to handle 5G data consumption
- Dark web monitor
- Onion over VPN
- Protocols: NordLynx and IKEv2 are available for iOS and macOS
- 24/7 customer support — live chat & email support
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Standard: $11.99/month; if you choose a monthly subscription, $4.99/mo; if paid annually, $3.69/month; if you choose a 2-year subscription plan
- Plus: $12.89/month; if you choose a monthly subscription, $5.89/mo; if paid annually, $4.59/month; if you choose a 2-year subscription plan
- Complete: $14.19/month; if you choose a monthly subscription, $7.19/mo; if paid annually, $5.89/month; if you choose a 2-year subscription plan
3. SurfShark VPN for Netflix
SurfShark VPN is the cheapest VPN that works with Netflix and other streaming sites. It has a collection of 3200+ reliable servers in 95+ countries.
With SurfShark, you can unblock the most popular Netflix libraries like the US, Japan, the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, France, and the Netherlands without any issues.
- Access 15+ Netflix libraries (Including US, UK, India, etc..)
- Speed: 35 – 41 Mbps (My “No VPN” speed was 50 Mbps)
- Steaming quality – HD without buffering
- Denver & Houston are the best servers high quality steaming streaming
- Smart DNS – it enables you to access Netflix US library on PS(Play Station) and SmartTV as well.
- It supports Windows, macOS, iOS, Linux, and Android
- 7-day free trial
- You can also unblock YouTube, DAZN, Apple TV, and BBC iPlayer.
- Connect & Secure unlimited devices simultaneously.
- Block ads, trackers, and Malwares.
- Bypasser allows specific apps & websites to bypass the VPN.
- Strict no-logs policy
- Kill Switch option to keep your data secure even if your connection drops.
- Private DNS and leaks protection boost your connection security
- Camouflage Mode makes your connection completely anonymous
- AES-256-GCM encryption
- By default, SurfShark uses IKEv2/IPsec protocols.
- 30 -day money-back guarantee
- 1- Month: $12.95/month
- 12 -Month: $3.99/Month
- 24 – Month: $2.49/month (82% off VPN deal + 2 months FREE)
4. Proton VPN for Netflix
Proton is also one of the best VPNs for Netflix to access especially the US library. However, if you connect to Proton VPN plus servers, you can access the original versions of Netlfix including the UK, India, Japan, Italy, Switzerland, France, Canada, and Australia.
With proton VPN, you can stream your favorite shows on Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, and iOS.
PRO Advice: Proton VPN is good for accessing US Netflix, But not the best option if you are looking to unblock more libraries. I prefer you use ExpressVPN to unblock all popular Netflix libraries.
Key Points –
- Proton VPN successfully unblocks US Netflix.
- US-NY#52, IN#8, and DE#60 are a few servers you can use to unblock Netflix.
- Speed – 38 Mbps (My internet speed before connecting to a VPN was 50 Mbps )
- Streaming quality – HD & 4K streaming.
- Proton VPN doesn’t work with some of the popular Netflix libraries like Brazil and South Korea
- US Plus servers Unblock US Netflix guaranteed.
ProtonVPN Features »
- Unlimited Bandwidth
- A free subscription plan is available
- 10 Devices Simultaneously
- Unmetered Usage
- No Log Policy
- ProtonVPN comes with a feature called NetShield to help you protect from malware, and block ads.
- Protocols: OpenVPN, IKEv2, and WireGuard
- 1700+ Servers in 64 countries
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Access content & streaming services from restricted regions. (Netflix, Disney+, Prime Video)
- High-speed server
- 24/7 Live Chat
- DNS leak prevention
- Kill Switch and Always-on VPN
- Proton VPN comes with Tor support built-in. You can route your network through the Tor network.
Proton VPN Pricing
- Free subscription — 100+ servers in 3 countries (US, NL, JP), Medium VPN speed, 1 VPN connection, and a Strict no-logs policy.
- 1-Month Plan: $9.99/month
- 1-Year Plan: $5.99/month (Save $48)
- 2-Year Plan: $4.99/month (Save $120)
If you live outside the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, or other countries where Netflix is available, then you should consider using a VPN to watch Netflix. While Netflix doesn’t officially support VPNs, many VPN companies do, and they often offer dedicated servers for Netflix.
So, while Netflix may block VPNs, it’s perfectly legal to use one to access their library.
In this post, I’ve covered some of the top VPNs for Netflix, including those that offer unlimited bandwidth and no data limits. And if you’re still having trouble finding the right VPN, this guide to choosing the best VPN for Netflix will help you choose the perfect option.
So, what are you waiting for? Go ahead and sign up for a VPN today and binge-watch your favorite series or TV shows.